In order to help you make an informed decision, we have compiled a list of questions to ask before you buy a new home in Clarington. Many of these questions also apply when buying an existing home.
About your neighbourhood
- Where are the nearest schools?
- Will the future school shown on the neighbourhood plan actually be built?
- Will my children take a bus to school?
- What are the local transit services?
- What is planned for the empty field behind my lot?
- What other development is planned/proposed nearby?
- Will there be a park nearby?
- What is the purpose of the nearby storm water management pond?
- Is my subdivision assumed and what does this mean?
About your street
- Will I have a sidewalk on my side of the street?
- When will the roads and sidewalks be completed?
- Will there be much mud and dust and if so, for how long?
- Will there be utility boxes in my front yard?
- Is there on-street parking and what are the speed limits?
- When is garbage day?
- Where will I pick up my mail?
About your lot
- Is a paved driveway included with my new house?
- What can I build on my property?
- Will my lot be fenced?
- What are the requirements for garages, driveways and parking spaces?
- When will my lot be sodded?
- What noise sources should I be aware of?
- What do I need to know about grading and drainage on my property?
About your community
For more information on buying in a new subdivision, view our frequently asked questions or find out who to can help answer your questions.