Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.
Decrease Text Size Default Text Size Increase Text Size |
Print Link

Clarington firefighters knock down fire caused by careless smoking

Posted on Wednesday September 04, 2019
A burnt mattress at the scene of a fire in Courtice
A burnt mattress at the scene of a fire in Courtice

Clarington September 4, 2019/- Clarington Emergency and Fire Services responded to a house fire on Hearthstone Crescent in Courtice on Tuesday evening. The call came in shortly after 8 p.m. Fire crews arrived on scene to find flames visible through the second storey window.

No one was injured in the fire. Three people left the home safely before fire crews arrived. Durham EMS was on scene to assess a male for smoke inhalation.

Firefighters were able to enter the home and quickly extinguish the fire, which was contained to a mattress in the master bedroom. Four trucks responded to the fire with approximately 20 firefighters on scene to assist. Three of Clarington’s fire stations were activated.

The cause of the fire was determined to be a cigarette.

“We would like to remind residents that it is never safe to smoke in bed. Mattresses and bedding can easily catch fire,” said Clarington Fire Chief Gord Weir. “Never walk away from a lit cigarette and be sure to use deep sturdy ashtrays,” added Chief Weir.


Media Contact:
Leanne Walker
Communications Specialist
905-623-3379 ext. 2217

Website Feedback Customer Service