Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.

Occupying our Roadway

All contractors, utilities and individuals who temporarily "occupy" the Municipality's highway (including the travelled portion, sidewalk and boulevard) must obtain a road occupancy permit from the Public Works Department.

Occupancy includes, but is not limited to, any work or construction that may occur on the Municipal highway including:

  • Tree maintenance
  • Utilities work
  • Road construction
  • Sidewalk work
  • Special Event Signage
  • Any other activities that are proposed to occur on the Municipal highway

You also need a road occupancy permit for the transport of any vehicles or loads on the Municipal highway that exceed dimension or load limits as set out in the Highway Traffic Act.

Please refer to the Special Event Signage Policy (PDF) for more information on signage for special events. 

How to get a road occupancy permit

Please ensure you are using the latest version of Adobe Reader to ensure you are able to save the PDF with your information. You can download the latest version of Adobe Reader for free.

Scanned application forms will not be processed.

  1. Save the application form to your computer or device.
  2. Open the saved file.
  3. Type information into the highlighted fields. Scanned, printed, or hand-written forms will not be processed.
  4. Save the completed application to your computer or device.
  5. Email the completed form to Do not add any additional pages or files to the application form.
  6. Attach any additional files (proof of insurance, drawings, pictures, maps, sketch scans, etc.) to your email. Do not add or attach any files to the application PDF file.

The Road Occupancy Permit application allows you to apply for road occupancy, but does not authorize you to begin work until you have received the approved permit.

Applicants may be required to provide, among other things, a road damage deposit that we will refund after the occupancy has ceased, and inspection shows that no road, boulevard or sidewalk damage has occurred.

Road occupancy permit fee

There is no charge for the road occupancy permit.

More information

Please refer to By-law 2014-022 for additional information including minimum requirements for an application or contact the Public Works Department at 905-623-3379.


Website Feedback Customer Service