Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.

Open a Business

Anyone who has ever opened a business knows that it takes a lot of work. We are committed to helping new businesses get started.

Just to make things a little simpler, Clarington does not require business licenses.

Opening a business in an existing building

Regardless of whether the building you want to move into needs renovations, you should contact the Planning Services Department to make sure the building you want to move into has the proper zoning rights that allow for your type of business.

We can also provide you with information about sign permits that you may need to promote your business.

If the building needs renovations, contact the Building Services Division to learn which permits you may need to complete the required renovations.

Opening a business by constructing a new building

If you need to construct a new building for your business, this process is more complicated and will require more time, energy and cost. To help you decide if this process is right for you, Clarington offers a pre-consultation meeting where we can review your proposal and give you an outline of costs and timeframes for your project.

You can contact our Planning Services Department to begin the process.


Engineering Services
40 Temperance Street
Bowmanville, ON L1C 3A6
Map this Location
T. 905-623-3379 ext. 2308
F. 905-623-9282
Email Engineering Services

Website Feedback Customer Service