Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.

Development Charges

New subdivision being built

The 2020 Development Charges Background Study is now available for review and public comment. Please send us your comments or have your say at the upcoming public meeting (date to be determined).

What are Development Charges?

Development charges are fees collected from developers and builders at the time a building permit is issued. The fees pay for a variety of growth related capital projects such as infrastructure. The also cover a variety of Municipal services including: library, fire facilities, indoor recreation, park development and facilities, roads, operations, parking and general government. The Director of Finance must submit an annual report to Council for the previous year's status of the Development Charges Reserve Funds. This report identifies the opening and closing balances, total of receipts and expenditures of the Development Charges Reserve Funds once the year-end financial statements have been audited. A copy of this report can be obtained by contacting the Clerk's Division.

Clarington Council passed By-law No. 2015-035 imposing development charges on residential and commercial development.

It is important to realize that the Municipality of Clarington is not the only public authority that can impose development charges. The above information applies only to the Municipality's By-law. The Regional Municipality of Durham and the School Boards in this area have their own development charges by-laws. For more information on those charges and rates please contact Durham region or the School Boards directly.

When is a development charge imposed?

A development charge applies where a proposed residential or commercial building project requires:

  • The passing of a zoning by-law, or an amendment to a zoning by-law
  • The approval of a minor variance, which involves a change in use, intensification of use or expansion of uses
  • The approval of a plan of subdivision, or,
  • The issuing of a building permit

Are there any credits or exemptions allowed?

A number of exemptions are legislated under the Development Charges Act. The Municipality's by-law provides exemptions/credits for housing intensification, agricultural uses, temporary buildings, certain institutional uses and industrial expansions, all subject to certain rules as stipulated in the by-law.

When are development charges due?

Generally, development charges are due when we issue a building permit. In exceptional cases where a land severance application was finalized prior to 1992, municipal development charges may have been paid. Record of payment is required. It is suggested the Region of Durham be contacted to confirm whether their development charges were also paid. The Development Charges By-law is reviewed every 5 years.

The Local Planning Appeals Tribunal (LPAT)

People do not always agree on how their communities should grow. Disputes arise over community planning issues such as where to locate industrial development, or what types of municipal services to provide.

When people cannot resolve their differences on community planning issues, the Local Planning Appeals Tribunal (LPAT) provides a public forum for discussion.

The LPAT is an independent adjudicative tribunal that hears appeals and applications and resolves land use disputes. Members of the LPAT are appointed by the Provincial government.

Some of the issues that the LPAT deals with include:

  • Official plans
  • Zoning by-laws
  • Subdivision plans
  • Consents to sever land
  • Minor variances
  • Local by-laws
  • Development charges
  • Applications for aggregate licences, and compensation for expropriated land

For more information, please visit the Local Planning Appeals Tribunal  website.


Website Feedback Customer Service