Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.

Animal Complaints

Dog waiting by a door

Clarington's Municipal Law Enforcement Officers investigate animal complaints and enforce animal-related municipal by-laws. Our staff is committed to educating the community about the by-laws and informing pet owners of their responsibilities.

Fill in the online form to file a complaint or report:

  • Aggressive dogs
  • Barking dogs
  • "Stoop and scoop" infractions
  • Stray animals
Aggressive dogs

If a dog bites you or someone you know, seek medical attention right away. Report the dog bite to the Durham Region Health Department and notify Clarington Animal Services using the online report a problem form. If you know the owners of the animal, you should inform them of the incident.

Be prepared to provide the following information when you call to report the bite:

  • Your name, address, home, and business numbers
  • The current location of the dog that bit you
  • Brief details of the incident, including names and numbers of witnesses
  • The location, date and time of the incident
  • The breed, size and colour of the dog
  • Where the dog lives and who the owner is
  • It may be helpful to take photos of the bite area. Photos may be used as evidence of the bite.

Once notified, Clarington Animal Services will investigate the incident, and we may place an order to restrain on the animal. If your dog has bitten someone, we encourage you to be as cooperative as possible.

Sharing your name, contact information and information about the dog will help Clarington Animal Services investigate.

Barking dogs

Are you frustrated with a barking dog in your neighbourhood?

Clarington's noise by-law outlines rules surrounding persistent noise by a house pet such as barking, calling or whining. We recognize that many residents in our community work shifts and are entitled to a sound sleep. There are no "okay to bark" hours set aside during the day, contrary to what many people think.

What can I do?

  • If your neighbour is approachable, try speaking with them first to share your concerns.
  • If talking with your neighbour does not alleviate the barking, call Animal Services or submit an online complaint.

What happens if I file a complaint?

  • When calling Animal Services, be prepared to provide your name, address, phone number as well as the dog owner's address. We cannot issue a warning unless you provide this information. Animal Services does not take anonymous calls, and all information provided is confidential.
  • An Animal Services Officer will issue a warning to the dog owner.
  • You may need to provide a detailed log for dates and times if the warning does not resolve the problem.
  • We may issue charges on the complainants' behalf when there is sufficient documentation.
  • According to the Responsible Pet Owners By-law: "Every person who contravenes any provision of the by-law is guilty of an offence, and upon conviction, is liable to a fine up to $5,000."


Website Feedback Customer Service