Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.

Barking Dogs

Barking dog

Are you frustrated with a barking dog in your neighbourhood?

Clarington's noise by-law outlines rules surrounding persistent noise by a house pet such as barking, calling or whining. We recognize that many residents in our community work shifts and are entitled to a sound sleep. There are no "okay to bark" hours set aside during the day, contrary to what many people think.

What can I do?

  • If your neighbour is approachable, try speaking with them first to share your concerns.
  • If speaking with your neighbour does not alleviate the barking, call Animal Services or submit an online complaint.

What happens if I file a complaint?

  • When calling Animal Services, be prepared to provide your name, address, phone number as well as the dog owner's address. We cannot issue a warning unless you provide this information. Animal Services does not take anonymous calls and all information provided is confidential.
  • An Animal Services Officer will issue a warning to the dog owner.
  • You may need to provide a detailed log for dates and times if the warning does not resolve the problem.
  • We may issue charges on the complainants' behalf when there is sufficient documentation.
  • According to the Responsible Pet Owners By-law: "Every person who contravenes any provision of the by-law is guilty of an offence, and upon conviction, is liable to a fine up to $5000.


Website Feedback Customer Service