Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.

Traffic Information Map

Clarington’s transportation network includes roads, sidewalks and trails. It is monitored year-round to assess the municipality’s current and future needs. The information collected is used to allocate available resources and services such as crossing guards, bicycle facilities, infrastructure improvements, and enforcement.

We collect data in a variety of ways, including:

  • Traffic volume counts
  • Turning movement counts at intersections
  • Midblock section counts also known as ‘tube counts’
  • Video assessments of road user behaviour
  • Radar message boards to collect vehicle speed and volume data

Explore Clarington’s Traffic Information Map to view information that has been collected to date.

How to navigate our Traffic Information Map

The layers on the left side of the map can be turned on or off by clicking the check boxes next to the layer name. Once a layer is turned on, you can view additional information by clicking on the icons that appear on the map.

Example: Once you click on the Clarington Crossing Guard layer, you can click on any orange guard symbol to see the crossing guard’s schedule and the school(s) and crosswalk(s) that they supervise.

Layer descriptions

Traffic signals in Clarington

The Region of Durham is responsible for the installation, maintenance and operation of all traffic signals in Clarington. This includes full intersection signals, pedestrian signals and flashing beacons installed above intersections or mounted on top of signs.

The decision to install new traffic signals is made by following guidelines set out in the the provincial traffic volume warrant, which requires minimum traffic volumes to be met.

If you have concerns or questions, please contact the Region of Durham at

Pedestrian Crossovers
A pedestrian crossover is a designated crossing area that allows pedestrians to safely cross the road where vehicles must yield to the pedestrian. Pedestrian crossovers are identified by specific pavement markings and crossing signs. Some crossovers may include yellow rectangular rapid flashing beacons. The signs have a white background with an image of a pedestrian and the text “stop for pedestrians.” The pavement markings include a yield to pedestrian line which is a series of white triangles, and a ‘ladder crosswalk’ which alternates thick white lines and areas with no markings.
All-way stop intersections

This layer shows existing all-way stop intersections in Clarington (red icons), as well as most of the locations currently being monitored to see if an all-way stop warrant is needed and is suitability (orange icons). Similar to a traffic signal, certain minimum pedestrian and vehicle volume criteria must be met to consider adding all-way stop installation at an intersection.

Clarington Crossing Guards

Clarington’s Planning Services Department manages the adult school crossing guard program. These guards are allocated based on specific guidelines and criteria, where a minimum number of students is present, or an unusual traffic condition exists.

Click on the orange crossing guard icon, to view the guard's supervision schedule, what school's the work with, which crosswalk(s) they supervise, and the type traffic control installed at their location. Some intersections do not have any type of traffic control. It is important to remember that these guards are there for students' safety. Drivers must always stop for crossing guards and wait until everybody crossing is completely off the road before proceeding through the crossing.

Traffic volumes

Traffic volume surveys provide the Municipality with data that is used to update the entire transportation network database. In the map, the data is displayed based on Daily Average Traffic Volume in both directions on a typical 24-hour day. This is often referred to as Annual Average Daily Traffic (AADT).

Once you select this layer, click on a blue road section, to view the available information including:

  • Street name
  • Daily Average Traffic Volume (same as AADT)
  • The year it was last assessed and Data Source Type
    • AE represents traffic volumes estimated based on adjacent developments
    • AC data is based on the previously mentioned Road Sections Surveyed (tube counts)
    • CE traffic volume is calculated based on nearby Intersection Surveys
 Radar message boards

The radar message board displays the speed of each passing vehicle, and keeps a record for Clarington to review. These boards provide drivers with real time feedback on their current speed, they also provide a record of valuable and accurate speed information. This equipment is an effective tool to remind drivers of speed limits, and provides Durham Regional Police Service with data to determine what areas require speed enforcement.

To request a location that you feel should be monitored, please email the Traffic Coordinator. Note: not all locations are suitable to install the radar message boards due to the lack of hydro poles available for installation, sightline obstructions such as boulevard trees, or curves in the roadway.

Click on a blue pin icon to open a table in the top left corner of the browser that will display the results of the data collected. Clicking on the table will enlarge it to full screen. Please note that some locations have been monitored more than once and you can navigate through multiple pages of data. Orange pin icons indicate an active location or data analysis in progress.

Turning Movement Counts

This layer contains available Turning Movement Count data in a simplified format: total count diagram and count hourly tables.

Cycling facilities

Clarington's cycling network includes dedicated bike lanes in urban areas, paved rural shoulders, signed routes, and paved paths providing access to some of our off road trails. Clarington's cycling network is growing the Municipality has planned upgrades to include better connectivity between trail sections and improved signalized intersection operation for cyclists.

Click on a coloured road line or bicycle icon for a description of the cycling facility.

Frequently asked questions

How do I obtain traffic volumes for the stretch of road in front of my business?
The Municipality of Clarington and the Region of Durham maintain separate yearly count programs and can provide turning movement count data for various intersections and midblock volume counts for many of the area roads. Traffic count data for Clarington is available through the Traffic Information Map, or on the Region of Durham’s website.
Where do I find the Traffic Impact Study Guidelines?
You can find the Traffic Impact Study Guidelines here. The guidelines have been prepared to provide land owners, development companies, and consultants with an approach to preparing traffic impact studies that will meet the requirements of the Municipality.
How do I request the installation of a school crossing guard in my neighbourhood?
School crossing guard locations are determined by staff based on volume and gap studies. Provincial guidelines do not recommend the installation of crossing guards at signalized intersections or all-way stops. All requests for school crossing guards should be submitted to Clarington's Crossing Guard Co-ordinator.
I want to change the rules regarding on-street parking on my street, what should I do?
If a request has been received, municipal staff will review the area and determine if a parking restriction change is required to address a problem. If a problem is found, appropriate action will be taken as time and weather permits. All local street-related requests should be directed to the Clarington Municipal Law Enforcement Office or the Public Works Department. If the matter involves a regional road, please contact the Region of Durham.
How do I request a road closure or sidewalk closure to host an event?
Special Event permits are issued by the Municipality of Clarington to grant permission to occupy municipal streets and sidewalks for special events such as parades and walk-a-thons. For any locations affecting Regional roads, please contact the Region of Durham. Please complete a Special Events Road Occupancy Permit and send it with your completed insurance certificate to the Public Works Department.
Who can I contact about a large tree or other object blocking the intersection and sight lines?
Objects located within an intersection’s daylighting triangle (i.e., shrubs or trees) can obstruct sight lines and make it difficult to see oncoming traffic. Contact the Public Works Department to report these concerns. Municipal staff will investigate and determine how to fix the problem.


Website Feedback Customer Service