Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.

Freedom of Information

You can make a request to access records or have information corrected by filing a Freedom of Information (FOI) request.

FOI Request Form

The Act

Access to records under the custody and control of the Municipality is governed by the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. M. 56 (the "Act").

In addition to providing individuals with a right to access municipal records, the Act also provides for the protection of personal information collected, used and maintained by the Municipality.

Access to general records

The first step when seeking access to municipal records is to approach the Department holding the particular records desired. Contacting the respective Department first will assist in expediting our response to your request. Where a record is not routinely disclosed, a formal request will be required.

Routinely disclosed records

The following are a list of records for which access is routinely disclosed and may be requested through the respective Department.

Routinely disclosed records
Records Description Department Fee
Land Use Information and Compliance Records such as the historical, present and future potential uses for a land parcel can be obtained through a request for a land use information and compliance letter (formerly Zoning Clearance letter) Planning $131
Fire Related Record

File Searches, Fire Regulation Compliance Letters including WETT Inspections, Licence Renewals, and Emergency Response Reports.

These records may be granted through our Fire Services Department by sending a written request to The Fire Chief, Clarington Emergency and Fire Services, 2430 Highway 2, Bowmanville, L1C 6C8, accompanied with a cheque made payable to The Municipality of Clarington. 

Emergency and Fire Services $91.53

Online records

The following are a list of records for which free access is available online.

Access to personal information

Every person has a right of access to personal information about them held under the Municipality's custody or control. A request may be made to access the records and have the information corrected if a person believes that the information contains errors or omissions. A formal request is required to access personal information or request correction to personal information.

Submitting a request

  1. Complete the Application for Access/Correction to Records form
  2. Pay the mandatory application fee of $5.

After the request is submitted

Upon receipt of the completed application, we have 30 days to respond to your request. During this time, we will provide access to the requested records, or provide notice to the applicant indicating why the requested records cannot be provided, in accordance with the Act. If we cannot complete the request within the 30-day timeframe, as it may negatively affect the regular operations of the Municipality, or where other individuals or companies may be affected by the possible release of information, the applicant will be advised of the extension and the anticipated date that a decision will be made.

Will I get everything I want?

No, not necessarily. If your request is denied in whole or in part, we will provide you with an explanation of why it was denied.


The standard application fee is $5; however, there may be more fees beyond the application, depending on the nature of the request. We will notify you if an additional fee is required to process your request. View the summary of fees for requests.

Protecting your personal privacy

In addition to providing individuals with access to municipal records, the Act also requires the Municipality of Clarington to protect the personal privacy of individuals. Personal information is collected and used by the Municipality for very specific purposes, which are identified at the time of collection. Your personal information will not be used for any other purpose than identified at the time of collection, nor disclosed in any circumstance, except as permitted by the Act. If you feel your personal information has been misused or disclosed in a manner that is not consistent with the Act, please contact the Municipality's Freedom of Information Coordinator or the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario.

Other resources


Website Feedback Customer Service