Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.

Open Air Burning and Burning Permits

Grass fire

All fire stations are currently closed to the public. Residents can only apply for an open air burning permit online.

Burning is not allowed without a permit. Wood-fuelled recreational campfires and fire pits are not allowed. Wood-fuelled burning appliances such as chimineas, fire bowls, and burn barrels are also not permitted. Natural-gas- or propane-fuelled fire pits are allowed and do not require a burn permit.

Our Open Air Burning By-law prohibits open air burning, including the use of wood fuelled chimineas and fire pits, in areas designated "urban" or "hamlet residential." The Fire Chief may issue a burning permit for a property located outside of these designated areas if it's at least 10 acres in size. 

Burning permits will not be issued for: fire pits or camp fires, wood-fuelled chimineas, burning garbage or building materials.

Applying for an Open Air Burning Permit

We issue three types of permits:

  1. Annual permit - 12 months -  $81.00  
  2. Annual farm permit - No charge (must provide Farm Business Registration number)
  3. 30 day permit -  $40.50

Apply for an Open Air Burning Permit



Website Feedback Customer Service