Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.

Marriage, Birth, Death


Applying for a marriage licence

To apply for a marriage licence, bring a completed marriage licence application form along with the required original identification to the Clerk's Office on the second floor of the Municipal Administrative Centre. A marriage license can only be issued to the applicant(s). The Clerk's Office also has printed forms available.

40 Temperance Street, Bowmanville

Hours of operation:
Monday to Friday
8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Application forms and details

  • Forms must be signed by both applicants
  • Forms must be submitted in person by one of the applicants
  • An application fee of $135 is payable by cash, cheque, or debit
  • Applicants 16 or 17 years of age require parental consent; contact the Clerk's Office for details
  • You do not have to show proof of residency or citizenship
  • Once a marriage licence has been issued, it is valid for three months

Identification requirements

Along with your completed application, bring two original pieces of government-issued identification for each applicant. One piece of identification must include a current passport or original birth certificate. The second piece of identification must be government-issued and include a photo.

Examples of government-issued photo identification:

  • Valid passport
  • Record of immigrant landing or Canadian Citizenship Card
  • Valid driver's licence
  • Valid LCBO issued BYID card (or valid 'Age of Majority' card)

Note: A certified translator must translate documents from a language other than English or French to English.

Service Ontario has more information on marriages, authorized officials, types of marriages, forms, marriage certificates, changing names and remarriage after divorce.

Marrying after a divorce

If you are getting remarried after a divorce, you will need to provide certain documents to prove you are no longer married. For detailed information, see the Government of Ontario website.

Marrying after the death of a spouse

Widowed applicants are not required to provide proof of death. If the marriage of an applicant ended by the presumed death of a spouse, you must provide a court order declaring the presumed death.

Civil marriage ceremonies

The Municipal Clerk or designate performs civil marriage ceremonies at the Municipal Administrative Centre Monday through Friday.

Death registrations

Visit Service Ontario to order a death certificate online.

All deaths in Ontario are registered through the Office of the Registrar General. You can find information on archived death records on the Archives of Ontario website.

Birth registrations

To register your new baby, visit Service Ontario's Newborn Registration Service. You can also get or replace an Ontario Birth Certificate online.

Website Feedback Customer Service